Monday, November 18, 2019

68-YEAR-OLD GRAND MOTHER, THYNA SUBRAMONEY, WINS MERCURY MILLION GOLF TOURNAMENT FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW ON NOVEMBER 16 2019

(Thyna Subramoney holding the lady's trophy with the men's winner, Bryan Butterworth. Also in the photo is the Editor of the Mercury, Yogas Nair, and the CEO of the Wild Coast)
(Thyna with her team players on the final day of the tournament, Shirley Govender, Shona Nicolson and Chookie Govender) A 68-year-old grand-mother has won the lady’s section of the Mercury Million tournament for the second year in a row at the Wild Coast golf course over the weekend of November 15 and 16 (2019). Mrs Thyna Subramoney, who is a member at the Mount Edgecombe Golf Club, first won the tournament in 2018 after playing in the series for more than a decade.
Mrs Subramoney, who lives in Umdloti, has been playing golf for more than 20 years after being encouraged by her family members. “I used to caddy for my husband but after a while I told him that I want to also play the game,” she said. “I received some coaching at the Mount Edgecombe golf club and thereafter began playing on a regular basis. “Over the past two decades I have played in many charity and club tournaments in and around Durban, the Wild Coast, Umkomaas, Amanzimtoti, Drakensberg Gardens, Champagne Sport, other parts of KZN and even in Johannesburg.”
Mrs Subramoney now plays golf at Mount Edgecombe at least once a week. “Winning the Mercury Million lady’s section for the second year in a row is a`n encouragement for me,” she said. Mrs Subramoney has seven grand-children in Johannesburg and Durban. Four of her grand-children are very keen golfers and all of them want to play professional golf. “I sincerely hope my winning the Mercury Million for the second year in a row will be an encouragement to my grand-children and others to take up golf seriously. “My grandsons are keen followers of Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy.”

1 comment: