Friday, January 22, 2021

RECALLING HISTORY - "JITLA" - FIRST GENERATION DESCENDANT OF INDENTURED LABOURERS DIES AT 101 IN JANUARY 1974

                                  

                                         

                                        ‘JITLA’ DIES AT 101 





 While researching through my articles that I did when working for the Daily News between 1973 and 1980, I came across another story that I wrote about a first-generation descendant of indentured labourers passing on at the age of 101. 
The Corona virus lockdown provided me the opportunity to research my Daily News articles and the work I did during 1980 and 1994 for overseas radio stations and other media. 
 The article on Mr Jitla Govender was published under the headline: “ ‘JITLA’ dies at 101” on January 7 1974. 
The article was about one of the oldest residents of Port Shepstone on the south coast, Mr M P “Jitla” Govender who passed on at his home in the rural area of Izotsha at the age of 101. 
The article read: The son of indentured workers, Mr Govender moved to Port Shepstone more than 50 years ago. He was a sugar-cane farmer and market gardener. He played an important role in the promotion of the Tamil language, religion and culture in Port Shepstone. He is survived by his 73-year-old wife, Poonganam, and two children. The funeral was held yesterday. Ends – Daily News Reporter January 7 1974

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete