Wednesday, October 12, 2016

64-YEAR-OLD GRAND-MOTHER ACHIEVES THE MOST DESIRABLE IN GOLF – A HOLE-IN-ONE

By Subry Govender
A 64-year-old grand-mother, who has been playing golf for the past 16 years, has achieved the most desirable – a hole-in-one – when playing in a competition at the Mount Edgecombe Golf Course on Wednesday, Oct 5. Mrs Kistamma Subramoney was playing in a ladies’ medal competition when she achieved the feat at the par 3, hole 15.
“The green is situated over a dam and it is not easy to get the ball over the water, let alone onto the green”, she said. “But on Wednesday, I took a seven iron and just hit what I felt was a smooth shot. I was worried whether it would get over the water but when it dropped on the green, I bent down to pick up my tee. “As I was picking up my tee, my two colleagues, Carol Hubert and Vanessa Colby, started shouting: “It’s going into the hole, it’s going into the hole. Thyna you have a hole-in-one. “I was over the moon as they congratulated and gave me the high five.” Mrs Subramoney said she never thought that at her age she would achieve the feat. She said golfers only hear of other golfers and professionals scoring hole-in-ones.
She joined the Mount Edgecombe Golf Club as a bunny or new entrant in golf in the year 2 000. “I have been playing golf for the past 16 years and have come very close over the years to scoring a hole-in-one. Achieving this feat just after my 64th birthday is a fantastic feeling”, she said. During prize presentation at the end of the competition she had to buy drinks for her fellow members. “My fellow players and the club members in general were really thrilled at my achievement.”
Mrs Subramoney has won a number of competitions at the club and also when playing in charity tournaments and in the Wild Coast and Mercury Million tournaments over the past 10 years. She finished as the “Best Lady Golfer” in the Wild Coast Sun tournament in 2015. Mrs Carol Hubert, the club captain who played alongside Mrs Subramoney when the hole-in-one was achieved, said Mrs Subramoney would be presented with a special certificate. She said Mrs Subramoney was the second lady out of a total of 13 players who scored hole-in-ones since January this year. The other lady was 83-year-old Winnie Everett who achieved the feat two months ago on the Mount Edgecombe Course Two. “Thyna’s achievement was really great because she had to hit the ball over the dam and then onto the green. We are proud of Thyna. I know the feeling because I too scored a hole-in-one two years ago at the Durban Royal Golf Course.” Ends – subrygovender@gmail.com Oct 7 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment