Monday, November 5, 2018

THYNA SUBRAMONEY WINS THE LADIES SECTION OF THE 29TH MERCURY MILLION TOURNAMENT

(THE MERCURY PUBLISHED THIS PHOTO OF THE LADIES AND MENS' WINNERS OF THE 29TH MERCURY MILLION GOLF TOURNAMENT ON THE FRONT PAGE ON MONDAY, NOV 5 2018) A 66-year-old Durban woman golfer, who has been playing the sport for the past 18 years, won the ladies section of the 29th Mercury Million golf tournament at the Wild Coast resort during the Nov 2 and 3 (2018) weekend. Mrs Thyna Subramoney, who is a member of the Mount Edgecombe Golf Club, shot an overall total of 66 points during the two-day event. She scored 38 points on Sunday (Nov 3) and 28 points on Saturday (Nov 2) despite the severe howling winds and poor weather conditions. Her achievement follows a recent victory at a club tournament at Mount Edgecombe. “I am very excited because I have been playing in the Mercury Million for nearly 15 years and have not achieved the top prize before,” she said. “Although I won other prizes during the Mercury Million tournaments, I had not achieved the ultimate prize of being the sole winner of the ladies tournament.” Thyna Subramoney started playing golf in 2001 after she had more time on her hands early in 2 000.
(Thyna with Daya Naidoo and two other golfing colleagues at Mount Edgecombe) “All my children got married and left home and I had some time on my hands to take up golf.” She became a member at Mount Edgcombe as a novice and slowly picked up the finer points of the game. “I wanted to play golf because I was getting tired of just being a spectator when Subry went out every weekend to play the game. I told him that I had enough of being his caddy and that I now want to also play,” she said.
(Thyna with her golfing friends, Anjie Valjee, Daya Naidoo, Sam Valjee and Mara Naidoo during a golfing tournament at Champagne Sport) After attaining her first handicap she joined her journalist husband, Subry Govender, to play in tournaments all over KwaZulu-Natal, Drakensberg Gardens, Champagne Sport, and in Gauteng and Swaziland.
In October 2016 she achieved one of golf highest honours when she scored a hole-in-one at the Mount Edgecombe Golf Course. “It was one of my highlights of my playing career and now, winning the ladies section of the Mercury Million, is yet another exciting achievement.”
< (Thyna with her golfing friend, Anjie Valjee, and Subry Govender) She said her son, Kennedy Pregarsen Subramoney, and her twin grand-sons, Divarshan and Dasendran, who are 17-year-old, and her third grand-son, Darshan, are also avid golfers. “Our whole family are golfers and I hope one day that we will have top world professional golfers emerging from our family.” On Monday, Nov 5 (2018), Thyna Subramoney made the front page of The Mercury when the newspaper published a photo of the winners of the ladies and mens’ sections of the Mercury Million tournament. Ends – subrygovender@gmail.com (Nov 5 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment