Monday, September 6, 2021

BLACK CRICKET STAR WHO ONLY WANTED TO PLAY FOR SOUTH AFRICA WHEN ALL PLAYERS WERE CHOSEN ON MERIT

 

 



            

 

While our national cricketers currently tour Sri Lanka and enjoy the glory of international participation, they, as the new privileged, must not forget the sacrifices made by cricketers of the calibre of Yacoob Omar, Baboo Ebrahim, Michael Patrick, Jugoo Govender and countless of others in their struggles for non-racial sport.

I was researching through my files for OUR RICH HISTORY series recently when I came across two articles that I had written in 1973 and 1975 about how Yacoob Omar, Baboo Ebrahim, Michael Patrick and the others only wanted to represent South Africa when the cricket authorities chose players on merit -  regardless of race or colour.

I had written my first story in April 1973 about Yacoob Omar, Baboo Ebrahim and Michael Patrick joining the Lancashire League in England. I was at this time working for the Daily News which was then situated at 85 Field Street (now Joe Slovo Street) in Central Durban.

I had just joined the Daily News after working as a free-lancer for the newspaper for more than five years. I was recruited to join the full-time staff after the only black reporter, Mr P M Chetty, had passed on.

As a journalist at this time, I had concentrated my work mainly about the struggles of the people, including non-racial sports administrators and players who wanted to see the country progressing to a society where all sportsmen and women enjoyed equal opportunities – irrespective of race, colour or ethnicity.


 

       BLACK STAR SAYS “NO” TO ROBINS GAME

 

I wrote the story about Yacoob Omar when he declined to play for a “mixed” invitational side against the touring Derrick Robins team in 1975. He said he only wanted to represent South Africa only when all players were chosen on merit - irrespective of race or colur.

I interviewed Yacoob at his work place in Durban and the story was published in the Daily News on March 6 1975 under the headline: “Black star says “no” to Robins game”.

The story read:

Natal non-white cricket captain, Yacoob Omar, said today he would turn down any invitation to play for a “mixed” invitation side against the touring Derrick Robins team.

Natal’s star left arm off-spinner, Baboo Ebrahim, declined to comment when asked if he would accept an invitation to play in the first official South African “mixed” cricket team.

Mr Omar, for his part, told me he would not even consider an invitation because “I am not interested in a once-a-year mixed matches”.

“We have gained nothing so far and I don’t see why we should now open the way for South Africa’s re-admission to world cricket through the back door.

“I will only be interested if mixed cricket is introduced at all levels,” he said.

Mr Omar and Mr Ebrahim are considered to be among the top non-white prospects for an invitation side. They have both played in the Lancashire League in England.

The president of the Natal Cricket Association, Mr Derrick Dowling, has been quoted as saying that Omar, Ebrahim and three other Natal “non-white” players – Jugoo Govender, Sweetie Naidoo and Michael Patrick – could be considered for an invitation side. Ends – Daily News Reporter March 6 1975





          THREE SEEK CRICKET FAME


The story about Baboo Ebrahim, Yacoob Omar and Michael Patrick was published on April 19 1973 under the headline: “Three seek cricket fame”.

 

 

The article read:

Three Natal non-white (players of colour) cricketers – including the man Basil D’Oliviera says would walk into any “Springbok” side – will be playing in the English Lancashire League this year.

The three are Ismail Baboo Ebrahim, Yacoob Omar – both of the Crescent Cricket Club – and Michael Patrick of Pietermaritzburg.




Ebrahim, a left-arm spin bowler who former England test star D’Oliviera says would walk into a “Springbok” side, leaves South Africa on Tuesday to join the Lancashire League club, Radcliffe, as a professional.

He was picked for the non-racial Natal side in 1964 and has retained his place ever since. Ebrahim said he was aiming to reach the top in cricket.

“I will do my best and if I am noticed, I would like to get into one of the county sides. I also want to gain the necessary knowledge and pass it onto my less fortunate colleagues.

“But my prime ambition is to represent South Africa when we choose our side on merit,” he said.

His colleague, Yacoob Omar, tomorrow for Littleborough for his second season and, like Ebrahim, plans to make the most of his opportunity.

“My primary ambition right now is to play in the county league and, like Baboo, I want to represent South Africa,” he said.

Twenty-four-year-old Omar said there was a great deal of potential among players of colour, but it was not being exploited.

“Once South Africa makes use of its future Kanhai’s and Sobers’s, it will be one of the leading countries in cricket,” he said.

Michael Patrick will join Burnley. It will be his first season. Ends – Daily News Reporter April 19 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment